Published on: 20 December 2023
Family-owned Southampton Freight Services (SFS) has taken its next step for future growth with the acquisition of international courier business EXPD International Ltd. It’s a move that will enhance and expand its range of global freight forwarding and logistics services.
SFS Ltd has been based in Totton, Southampton, since it was first established 25 years ago and remains independently owned and run by the family, employing over 50 people. The addition of EXPD International to the group of companies brings a wider range of courier services expertise and is a natural fit, says SFS managing director, Ross Negus.
“This acquisition is wonderful news for all our customers and employees and we’re delighted to welcome the EXPD team to our work family. It means we’re adding yet more expertise to our portfolio of global logistics services, with an even wider range of courier products, expanding the choice for customers of both businesses. It’s a perfect cultural fit.
“We’re extremely proud of our reputation and the entire SFS family shares the same commitment to providing the highest levels of customer service with that all-important personal touch. The proof is our long-term relationships of 20-plus years with many of our customers, suppliers and our employees,” he said.
EXPD has been in operation for over 20 years and its former managing director Steve James will remain with the business in a consultancy capacity, working closely with the SFS senior management team. He says that joining the SFS group of companies is a natural progression that will open up new opportunities and secure a bright future for employees and customers.
“By joining a bigger group, this is a really positive move that brings together complementary strengths and expertise. SFS has a well-deserved reputation for personal service and attention to detail and we see this as an obvious match of cultures that secures a bright future for everyone involved,” he said.
For customers of SFS and EXPD, the acquisition brings a range of additional services for customers of both businesses. These include:
- Access to an established global network of partner offices.
- A wider and more flexible range of UK and international courier services.
- 27,000 square ft. of fully racked and bonded warehouses for pick/pack operations.
- In-house completion of all HMRC/Customs work, operating a Transit Waiver Guarantee.
- Full accreditation for dangerous goods handling.
- SFS is an IATA-accredited airfreight agent. For imports, they operate an External Temporary Storage Facility (ETSF) for air and ocean.
- CAA Approved Regulated Agent.
- A global network of dedicated marine-focused partner offices means efficient last mile delivery for world-leading industry names.
The addition of EXPD to the SFS group portfolio is the latest in a series of investments and initiatives in the last year which has seen the business mark its 25th anniversary. There is an ongoing programme of investment at the SFS purpose-designed facility. In the last 12 months, over £200,000 has been invested in new technologies and the latest equipment to continue to improve the global movement of cargo.